Indian Chicken Korma Recipe is a rich, mild, aromatic and utterly delicious recipe. Made creamy with coconut milk and cashewnuts which is a true authentic Indian dish. It is a dish originating in the Indian Subcontinent consisting of chicken braised with yogurt , cream or coconut milk, water or stock, and spices to produce a thick sauce or gravy.
What is Korma?
Korma or kurma can refer to a range of curries in India and there are different ways to make it. It primarily refers to whitish-yellow gravies that have their base in onions, cashews and whole spices or garam masala. The level of heat can vary depending on how hot you like your curry. But they are mostly mildly sweet but like I said before – not from added sweeteners.
Indian Chicken Korma originated during the Mughal Era and later became immensely popular across the world. There are different versions of Chicken Korma like the North Indian and South Indian .Mine is the South Indian version where I use coconut milk instead of cream. My chicken korma recipe is derived from classic ingredients where I marinate my chicken using Yoghurt and ginger garlic paste.
Indian Chicken Korma is a traditional Indian Recipe which is less spicy as compared to Butter Chicken or Ginger Chicken. But you can adjust the spices according to your taste. This goes well with Ghee Rice or Chapatis. Lets see how to make Indian Chicken Korma.
Indian Chicken Korma Ingredients
- Bone-less chicken: I buy pre-cut up pieces of a whole chicken, but bone-in chicken thighs work too. Feel free to use boneless chicken in place, though it may require a shorter cooking time.
- Whole spices: Authentic Chicken Korma uses whole spices like bay leaves and black peppercorns. Leave out whichever ones you don’t have on hand.
- Garlic + Ginger: A traditional recipe will have more garlic and ginger than your typically used to. Feel free to use paste if you’d like!
- Tomatoes: Optional – more on this below.
- Onions: When making traditional korma, usually you brown, then grind the onions along with the yogurt. This gives it the signature texture and flavor. But in my recipe I don’t grind them but saute them till it becomes golden brown.
- Yogurt: An essential korma ingredient.
- Spice powders: This recipe uses common spices like coriander powder, chilli powder ,tumeric powder, pepper powder and garam masala but my main ingredient for Indian Chicken Korma Recipe is Fennel Powder. This ingredient is the backbone of my recipe.
- Coconut Milk: This can be substituted with Heavy cream.
- Potatoes: Cut into big pieces.
- Oil: Ghee is another option.
How to make Indian Chicken Korma?
Indian Chicken Korma Recipe is made using the following 4 steps:
- Marinating the Chicken: Marinate the Chicken with Yoghurt and ginger garlic paste for 20 mins.
- Making the Korma Masala Paste: Grind all the masalas in a mixer grinder to make a thick paste.
- Cooking the Chicken Korma: Saute the onions till golden brown. To this add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and cook until it becomes soft. Next add the masala paste and little bit of water and boil for 10 mins. To this add the chicken and potato and cover the pot and cook until it gets cooked.
- Add Coconut milk and cashew paste and let it boil for another 10 mins. Add pepper if you want more spice.
- Garnishing :Garnish with coriander and curry leaves .Your Indian Chicken Korma Recipe is ready. Serve it hot with Ghee rice or Chapatis.
Indian Chicken Korma Recipe
- 750 gm Boneless Chicken
- 2 no Bay Leaves
- 3 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 4 tbsp Fennel Powder
- 2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 no Potato(Cut into big pieces)
- 3 no Onion(Diced)
- 2 no Tomato
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cashew Paste
- ½ Cup Curd
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Salt to Taste
- Marinate the Chicken with Yoghurt ,Salt and 1tbsp ginger garlic paste for 20 mins.
- Add Coriander powder, Fennel Powder, Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Pepper and Turmeric into a mixer Grinder and grind it to make a thick paste.
- Take a pan and heat 2 tbsp oil/ghee. Add the bay leaves and Onions and saute till onions turn golden brown.To this add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and cook until it becomes soft.
- Next add the masala paste and little bit of water and cook for 5 mins. To this add the chicken, curry leaves and potato and cover the pan and cook for another 10 mins.
- Next add Coconut milk and cashew paste and let it boil for another 10 mins. You can add pepper powder if you want more spice.
- Garnish with coriander and curry leaves .Your Indian Chicken Korma Recipe is ready. Serve it hot with Ghee rice or Chapatis.
- Boneless Chicken can be substituted with bone-in chicken thighs.
- You can use crushed peppercorns instead of pepper powder.This adds more taste
- You can go ahead and adjust the spices to suit your taste and preference.
- You can use heavy cream instead of coconut milk.